Thursday, May 17, 2012

Game Review: Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge

     This game is old news, like "I played this on my Gameboy" old news. Regardless of how old the game is, it never gets old. I was raised on Castlevania games from a small child on the nintendo and even to this day, I play the series. It's my favorite gaming series, and for good reasons.
     Belmont's Revenge showed up on Gameboy in 1991, several years before I would get to play it. As I played through the SNES games, I decided to go back to the roots of the series. The first game was fine and dandy, and I couldn't understand Simon's Quest for the life of me then. Castlevania: The Adventure was much too easy for my liking. Nothing struck me as Belmont's Revenge did. The gameplay was simple yet solid, and the graphics drew me in even more. The pixel work for this mere Gameboy game was fantastic. The backgrounds were so detailed and it really made the game seem as if it had hard work and dedication in it. Something I was sure of being familiar with Konami's works.
    The game works a bit differently than a lot of the Castlevania's we are used to. Instead of being inside one castle, you get to play through four different castles, and in any order that you choose to. You play as Christopher Belmont, who has set out to save his son Soeliyu. I won't go much further as not to spoil the game for those of you who have not played it.
     Overall, this is a very solid game, and the fun factor is through the roof. There isn't anything bad I can say about the game; I could talk all day about how slow the Belmont's are in these games, but if they moved any faster, the game would be over in a flash, and that's no fun.  I personally think this classic beats out most of the newer games for me, even in this day in age. It's too fun not to rank as my #2 favorite Castlevania game of all time.

Overall Rating:
Art: 10/10
Gameplay: 9/10
Entertainment: 10/10
Overall: 9.5/10